Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Modest Mint Mid Century Mod Dresser Makeover

This post uses affiliate links to help you find the products I trust and love

 Welcome back my Beauties.
I am sorry I haven't been around much.
We are in the middle of soccer season for two kids,
Graduation for my oldest,
plus orchestra concerts for 3 kids and 
numerous other family activities that have been taking all my time.
Instead of killing myself trying to do EVERYTHING including my booth and my blog, I do what I normally do around this time and give myself to my family.
It doesn't mean that I am not working on makeovers or painting, its just that I am not taking the only down time at night to edit and write like I normally do. 
I am still photographing and painting; I am just putting all those photo's in storage until I can get to a time when I can post about them.
Lucky for you guys, my daughters practice was cancelled and we didn't have to run anyone else anywhere tonight so I could finally sit down and work while they all did homework.
You may remember this dresser I had picked up almost a month ago while out thrifting.
I scored this baby for twenty bucks.
I couldn't believe it.
The reason it was so cheap???
This missing back support piece for the base.
What you see there is the last hanging bit of veneer that came off the original base.
Lucky for me, I love to fix this stuff.
I cut a replacement board and used my Ryobi Airstrike nailer to attach it back to the dresser
I love that thing :)
Next up, the top of the dresser.
Now I am not a big fan of the blonde finish it had and with a little sanding I saw that the wood underneath that old finish was pretty nice.
So I decided to keep going and sand the whole top down.
Once it was all sanded and wiped down with tack cloths
I grabbed my Rust-oleum dark walnut stain
and Satin Polyurethane
and got to work on staining and finishing the top.

While the top was drying I removed the old hardware and cleaned it. I was in love with this hardware and the style of it,
but the finish was not good.
I grabbed my Rustoleum gold metallic finish spray paint and gave the old hardware a couple coats of new paint.

Once I had the hardware going I could get going on the best part.....
You know how much I love MINT and so I decided this piece would look great with Americana Decor's Chalky finish paint in Refreshing Mint 
I gave it a couple of coats and sealed it with their matte varnish. 

Once everything was dry I could put the hardware back on.
Oh I was in love with the mint and gold!
and here it is...all finished!
I love how the color and the stained top updated the whole look of the piece!
What a difference it made!
I hope you enjoyed this latest makeover!
As soon as I get another free moment I will work on another post for you, I promise! 
Until next time,
go make someones day BEAUTIFUL!


Julie said...

I love the final result! That paint color with the rich stained wood and gold hardware is beautiful!